Saturday, April 21, 2012

An introduction to APA Box Model Railroading

By now, most of you will know about the APA box for model railroading.
I think it is now fairly safe to say that it was yours truly who discovered the Swedish storage cabinet and first postulated upon its use for railway modellers back in June of last year. The concept took off and modellers all over the world have since used the APA box to make small layouts or even used several in a modular model railroading style.
It took me a while, but I finally jumped on my own bandwagon and built my own APA box layout. Today (April 21st 2012) it attended its first exhibition, the Granite City Train Show in St. Cloud, MN. It was very well received and was also given an invitation to a forthcoming show in Alexandria, MN.
In these past months I have deliberately kept the APA project relatively low key. You will have only known about it it you knew which internet forums to look on. The project was an experiment. A very personal experiment. Others may have built APA box layouts before me. But it was my idea so my personal standards were a bit more exacting than usual.
My standards for the project are still a work in progress and somewhat guarded. But the reception the concept and the layout have received have encouraged me to go public with it so I decided to blog about it.
Those of you who read my blogs regularly will know what to expect. There will be more of the same here. But totally about APA box model railways/railroads. I hope you'll take an interest, follow the blog and perhaps buy an APA box yourself.
In the meantime the first few entries will be going over old material as a refresher for old hands and an introduction for new arrivals.

No comments:

Post a Comment